The New Zealand Financial Innovation and Technology Association (FinTechNZ) is a purpose-driven membership association that brings together a community of providers, innovators, investor groups, regulators, educators and people who care about financial technology innovation and adoption. FinTechNZ is also part of NZTech.
Our purpose is to contribute to the prosperity of New Zealand through technology innovation. Our strategic objectives are to connect, promote, and advance financial technology and innovation in New Zealand.
About This Manifesto
FinTechNZ supports the NZTech Manifesto, which outlines specific areas the Government should focus on to enable and grow Aotearoa as a Digital Nation. These actions are aligned with the Digital Tech ITP.
FinTech makes a significant contribution to New Zealand’s economy, comparable to the entire NZ wine industry, through scalable, weightless exports and high-income tax revenue.
FinTechNZ believes there are specific areas the Government should focus on so that financial technology innovation can contribute to the prosperity of New Zealand.
The manifesto outlines four key areas:
- Growing exports
- Lifting productivity
- Encourage the use of technology to support New Zealand to deliver on its climate and environmental objectives
- Avoid greenwashing in delivering initiatives, e.g. through Climate-Related Disclosures provisions
- Create a clear regulatory regime for emerging technologies, including Open Banking, that protects New Zealanders’ privacy and safety
- Support companies to successfully export their services and solutions to the world. The sector generated $1.495 billion in exports in 2021, representing more than 80% of its total revenue of $1.805 billion1
- Support an internationally competitive FinTech sector through investment, incentives and access to venture capital
- Support the use of FinTech to transform the economy, lift the performance of New Zealand industries, and create high-value jobs
- Ensure companies have access to the best talent in New Zealand and the world
- Continue investing in the science and research community
1 Technology Investment Network’s 2022 New Zealand Fintech Insights Report https://tin100.com/nz-tech-sector-facts/2022-fintech-insights-report/